Friday, March 9, 2012

Homemade lotion bars

I made homemade lotion bars yesterday and I am completely in love!  Well, as in love as you can be with lotion bars :-)  I am so excited that I have been telling anyone who will listen about them.  Mr. Apple has since given up on pretending to listen, and a few other people I encountered might think I am a nutcase, but at least I am a nutcase with soft skin :-)

All natural, chemical free, and pretty to look at!


Ingredients:
4 oz. beeswax (white or natural)
1/3 c. coconut oil
1/3 c. olive oil
1/8 tsp. Vitamin E oil (optional)
pinch of cocoa butter (optional)
10 or so drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
Soap molds or silicone muffin cups
glass jar, small pot, 1 chopstick

1 recipe makes 3 soap shaped bars or 4-5 muffin cups


Heat the beeswax until melted in a glass jar inside a small pot of water.  It will take a few minutes.  Stir with a chopstick.


When the wax is melted, add coconut oil, olive oil, and cocoa butter and stir until melted.


Remove from heat and add Vitamin E oil, and your essential oil and stir.  I did one batch with lemon, and one with bergamot.  The coconut oil has a nice smell, so you don't have to add an essential oil if unless you want to.


If you are using plastic molds, let the lotion cool until it is under 160 degrees or whatever your plastic mold recommends.  If you are using silicone muffin cups, you can pour right away.  Silicone can take the heat!  I used a meat thermometer to check the temperature.


Carefully pour into molds, and let harden and cool (30 minutes is plenty).


Pop them out of the molds and they are ready to go!  I think I am going to store the muffin cup ones inside their muffin cup.

Just rub the bar in your hands or over your body. Store in the mold or on a soap dish.

Wouldn't these make great gifts?  Of course, I would need to be willing to part with them, and I am not sure if I am there yet :-)

ENJOY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails