Friday, July 8, 2011

Make your own Hula Hoop ~ A tutorial


We had an early birthday party for Sprite before we moved, so she could celebrate with her friends.  We kept it simple, just a big potluck BBQ and hanging out with friends.  We made our own hula hoops for the kiddos to decorate, and it was great!  The kids ranged from tiny tots to tweens, and they all enjoyed this project.  A few moms made hoops for themselves too! The little kids who were too young to hoop made up their own games to play.

Here's how we did it. It was surprisingly easy!

Supplies:
3/4 in. Irrigation tubing (100 psi for kids, 160 psi for adults)
tubing connectors
electrical tape
textured tape (gaff, hockey, or medical tape...any cloth tape)
tubing cutter (not necessary, but helpful)
Hot water

Here's the label from the tubing...


Our hardware store had them in 100 ft rolls, which made about 10 hoops (depending on the size).  I used 100 psi for the kids, but 160 should be used for adults because it's heavier. Heavier is actually easier to hoop with, so if you're never been able to keep a hoop up, try a heavier one.

Here's a close-up of a connector:


These are my PVC cutters.  I got the cheapest kind, and they were $12.  They went through the tubing like butter!  You could also use a small saw to cut the tubing.


 Cut the tubing to the desired length.  A general guideline is when standing on end, the hoop should come slightly above your belly button. 

Dip one end of the tubing in hot water for 5-10 seconds. 

Slip the connector in.



At this point, you can add a few dried beans or popcorn so the hoop makes a rattling sound if you want. Then dunk the other end of the tubing in the hot water, and connect to form a hoop. Let cool for a minute before passing off to little hands.


I made lots of different sizes so the kids could choose whatever they wanted.


 At the party, I provided a massive amount of electrical tape in all colors.  You can get it at your local hardware store, or buy online.  Online was a lot cheaper, but I had to pay shipping too.


The kids taped the hoops as best they could.  Just use the electrical tape and work in a spiral all the way around.  Some of the little kiddos had the tape overlapping and thick, which was fine. The bigger kids were perfectionists though.

I made this gal's "Top Gun" dress :-)

Even the moms played! We found wrapping the tape to be very relaxing, and when we finished one hoop, we felt like our hands wanted to keep wrapping.


A tiny hooper.

A bigger one. (I made her skirt too!)

After the kids wound the electrical tape, the moms helped wind the textured tape (I used gaff tape) over it in a very wide spiral.  The textured tape makes the hoop grip your body a little, making the hoop easier to keep up.


Check back later for some of Sprite's favorite hoop games!


P.S. This is my favorite picture of Sprite's party.  My smart child is flinching when Mr. Apple brings out the lighter :-)

6 comments:

Rochelle @Home Sweet Homebodies said...

Wow, that is amazing! I never thought of making my own hula hoops. I might have to try this since we have an activity coming up that could use several hula hoops.

Michelle said...

Love this idea!! So clever!! I am visiting from Someday Crafts and I am a new follower! My Delicately Constructed Friday Linky party starts tomorrow morning and I would LOVE if you would link this up!
Hope that you have a great weekend and that I see you around soon!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Jules said...

Hi Kelly! Just found your site and I'm really enjoying looking through your archives. Some lovely stuff, I'm especially tempted to make some of my own rubber stamps, great little tutorial there, makes me think I might actually be able to pull them off!

Diana Lopez said...

Hi Friend,


This is a special blog. Effective clean and nice tips of health blogs. I will be coming back in a bit, thanks for the great blog.I hope you post more wonderful image and content in your site.Collect more to more data about Buy Hula Hoops Online visit our website:-http://www.bodyhoops.com

Thanks

Buy Hula Hoops Online

Hula Hooping Exercise said...

This is a one type of diffrent post that I have come over after huge searches. I am really thankful to you for providing this unique information about health.To found any other information go to our website:-http://www.bodyhoops.com

Anonymous said...

Any idea of your final cost per hula hoop?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails