Monday, April 4, 2011

Mini-Project Monday: Floam



I know a lot of parents hate Floam even more than Play-Doh. 

I diasgree.

But then again, I don't mind Play-Doh :-)

Floam or playfoam is a squishy substance made from styrofoam beads with a goopy layer over them to hold them altogether.  Sound messy?  Not so much actually!
  

I didn't even know they still made the stuff, but I found a barely opened pack at the thrift shop and had to give it a try.  I was a little wary, because clearly the previous owner barely had the box open for 5 minutes before they shipped if off to the thrift shop.  Never a good sign.

I am glad to say I was pleasantly surprised.

 The kind we got came in rectangles wrapped in plastic, without a box, so I'm not sure what brand it is.  It looks pretty close to this pack available on Amazon.


While it is extremly sticky, it's the kind of sticky that doesn't leave residue on your hands.  Always a plus when working with tots.

It's kind of difficult to sculpt with compared to Play-Doh, but Sprite wasn't too interested in sculpting.  She was more interested in mixing colors and squishing it around in her hands. 

The best part? Squishing is very entertaining for tots.  I bring out the floam whenever I need a few minutes to do something. She works on one end of the table and, much to Mr. Apple's annoyance, my laptop sits on the other end of the table 362 days a year (hey, I move it for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas!).  I'm able to get something done without Sprite causing trouble around the house.


Cleanup is a breeze.  Put all the floam in a ziplock bag so it stays squishy, wipe the table, and wash hands.  A lot easier than scrubbing Play-Doh from under nails and finding little hot pink crumbs everywhere. 

"Take a picture of the green one!"

(This is 100% my own opinion.  I have no connection to the maker's of any of the products mentioned.  I just want to share my good find with you!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails