Thursday, April 7, 2011

Easy Fabric Storage Cubes

With a cross-country move on the way, I'm super obsessed with organization now.  I'm an avid follower of The Flylady, I make weekly donations to the thrift shop, and I've invested a small fortune in plastic storage containers.  Goodbye, clutter!


Clutter seems to accumulate on flat surfaces.  It doesn't matter how many flat surfaces you have, or how big they are.  If you're not careful, they will fill up.  I call this the Principle of Clutter Accumulation.  I once forbade Mr. Apple from putting another table in the computer room because I was afraid the clutter would expand.  (I made him clean off the table he already has and he has plenty of room now, thank you.)



To keep important items handy and to fight the principle of clutter accumulation, I sewed these super easy fabric scrap baskets from The Sometimes Crafter.  I made 4 for myself, 2 for my mom for her birthday, and one miniature one for Sprite, who thinks that anything miniature is hers, including the toaster oven ("What's this little oven? Mine?")

I have one in the spice cabinet, to keep the little baggies of spices from raining down on me everytime I open the door:

One on the nightstand for little bottles of lotions and potions:

It appears that Mr. Apple needs a basket here too, seeing as his books, glasses, and change are disturbing my tidy area!

He does have one in the kitchen for things like his wallet and glasses, and I have one too for reciepts:


My mom was very happy with hers but hasn't decided what to put in them yet.


She was also pleased to hear the Sprite has a matching little basket.  Sprite's an only-grandchild :-)


She loves her mini "bakist", as she calls it).

To make the mini basket, follow the directions from The Sometimes Crafter, but make the outer fabric and interfacing 9x9" and the lining 8 7/8 x 8 7/8".  I used fusible interfacing.  Cut 2 5/8" squares from each corner. 

Happy organizing!

Kelly

2 comments:

Jo at theCreativeCollage.wordpress.com said...

Very pretty and functional!

AllieMakes! said...

Very nice! I have been thinking about making something like this! I think I will! Thank you for the inspiration!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails