Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Unpaper Towels


This is a doubly-upcycled project.  It started last summer, when I used old towels to make this picnic blanket:



Wasn't Sprite a chunker? :-)

I saved the scraps from making this blanket even though I had no idea what I was going to do with them (the story of my life).  I just knew they'd be useful at some point!

I have been needing some cleaning towels since I became a fan of The Flylady, and starting cleaning, organizing, and decluttering like a crazy person :-)  My friend Jenna showed me some "unpaper towels" she made for cleaning her house (and children) and I thought this would be the perfect use for my towel scraps.  Old bath towels would also work well, but I used all mine up making toddler bibs.

This is the PERFECT low-stress sewing project.  I did not measure anything, I just cut and sewed completely freehand.  They're rags, and no one is going to be inspecting them! No two are exactly alike, and that's half the fun.

For the backs, I used green flannel I had lying around for awhile.  Since they are already crazy colored, I did all the backs the same color to kind of make them match. At least match somewhat.  A tiny bit.


First, start sewing your scraps together.  My bigger unpaper towels are about 11 in square, and the smallest are about 6 inches square.  I also made a tiny one for Sprite, about 5 inches square:


Once you have the front assembled, cut a piece of flannel for the back.  Lay the front and back RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER, and sew almost all the way around, leaving a space for turning.

Turn the towel right side out and press.

Lastly, use a zig zag stitch to sew all the way around, about 1/2 from the edge, making sure that you're closing the opening as well.

Ta-da! Unpaper towels!



They're not at all perfect, but I highly doubt that when I am shining my sink I am going to notice my seams anyway!  I'm in love with them already.

Happy cleaning!

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Great idea! I don't like spending money on paper towels! Thanks! Heidi

Cassidy said...

FABULOUS IDEA! When beach towels go on sale at the end of summer would also be a great time to grab a few and do more of these. You could get a lot from just 2 beach towels and at the end of summer they're half price then lower than half price at wal mart. The ones that sell out are the character ones and that's not what you'd want for this anyway. I may just start watching for some towels on sale regardless and when I find some do this project. I enjoyed making my cloth napkins.... and I'd enjoy this as well! Thanks for sharing this awesome post!

I love how your unpaper towels turned out!
Smiles, Cassidy

V said...

These are almost too cute to use as rags! The old towels I use for rags are getting really unraveled at the edges. Turning them into these would be the perfect solution.

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

Great idea - the unpaper towels and the picnic blanket!

Brandy said...

That is a really good idea. Great job.

jenn said...

great job! I purchase maybe two rolls of paper towel a year because I find that rags make better cleaning cloths anyway!

https://jennoreilly.wordpress.com/

AllieMakes! said...

These are ABSOLUTELY perfect! GREAT job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jenniffier said...

great idea

Denise said...

I REALLLLY love what you have done here.
FABULOUS job. I am loving those un paper towels!

Denise
Extreme Personal Measures

Condo Blues said...

I like both ideas! I have a stack of old towels ready for projects. What I don't remake, I'll donate to the animal shelter.

Carolyn said...

So many uses... an excellent idea! Love the blanket.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails