Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Peg people

Sprite and I made this recycled castle over the summer, and she loves playing with it.  


The problem is that she only has two peg people (named after herself and her little friend) to play with.  I decided to make some more.  A lot more.

Here are some brief instructions if you want to make your own. 

Supplies: blank pegs (sold in small bags at craft stores)
Acrylic paint
Acrylic spray sealant
 

I found the pegs in two sizes, so I made kids and adult peg people.  If you can't find the smaller ones, or want people of all sizes, use a small saw (like a coping saw) to cut a little bit off the bottom to make the people shorter.

It's easiest to paint several at one time, so you can work on one while part of another is drying.

Start by painting the heads in a skin tone and the body in whatever color you want the clothes.  Make sure you paint the bottom too.


I found that the people looked the best if I painted the eyes and mouth first, and then did the hair.  It was hard to tell where exactly to put the hair without the eyes as a reference.


Add some clothing details, maybe some jewelry or hair accessories, then let the paint dry overnight.


Finish by applying a layer or two of the spray sealant.  Make sure you let the sealant dry between coats as directed by the can.

Time to play!

13 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this. I can totally see my daughters loving building the castle! What a fun Mom you are!

Megan said...

these are just precious! great job.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Ticia said...

Peg people are on my ever growing to do list.

Amanda said...

These are so cute, thanks for sharing such a fab idea

radn said...

such an adorable peg family!

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

How fabulous and thrifty is this.

Krista @ While He Was Napping said...

These are too cute! I may have to make some for my Little Monkey! He'd love them. I'd love for you to come share it at this weekend's party! Hope to see you there!

abeachcottage said...

awee, the peg people are so cute! What a fun project.

Binge Crafter said...

Cute project! Is it okay to use the acrylic paint and spray sealant if kids put them in their mouths? I'd love to make these for my daughter but she's still pretty little. Thanks for sharing!
Angela
bingecrafter.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

I would probably not make these for kids who still put things in their mouths. My daughter is only 2.5, but she was never the type to put things in her mouth. Thanks for your comments and Q!

AllieMakes! said...

HOW cute! Love them!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Alida L. said...

These are super cute! They remind me of the clothes pin people my grandmother and I would make together when I was a child. Thanks so much for sharing.

Check out my latest tutorial here:
http://imakestuff4fun.blogspot.com/2011/02/swaddler-that-fits-tutorial.html

Krissy @ B.Inspired Vintage said...

These are too cute. I've been thinking of making some for my little one, but haven't tackled it yet. Thanks for the inspiration!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails