Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Felt Sushi

Sprite and I LOVE felt food.  Here she is baking bread in her play kitchen, while Mr. Apple was in the big kitchen baking fresh bread (Mr. Apple is very into kitchen experiments...and also fresh bread).


I starting making it when Sprite was about 6 months old, and every holiday I add a piece or two to her collection.  Some of her favorites are cupcakes, ravioli, an apple, cookies, and an eggplant.  Here's a bowtie pasta tutorial I made awhile ago.

For Valentine's Day, I made Sprite a strawberry, a heart shaped chocolate, and a set of sushi.  The cats stole the first two right away.  Felt strawberries are a favorite of cats.  I make them for the cats at the animal shelter occasionally. 

Anyway, back to felt sushi!

Supplies:
Felt- white, black, and scraps of different colors
needle and thread

Start by cutting your pieces.  I don't eat sushi, so please excuse my lack of proper sushi terminology :-)
In this example, I made sushi with the nori (black) on the outside, but you can make any kind you want.  You can vary the colors to make different ingredients. 

You will need the following:


All measurements are in inches.
Black: 1 x 5
White: 2 x 5
Pink, green, and tan: one each, 1 x 2.5

Fold the white piece in half lengthwise:

 Fold the scrap pieces in half widthwise and place in the center of the white. The folded edges should line up:

 Roll the white around the scraps.  Cut off excess, allowing the ends to overlap a bit:

Stitch up the ends:

Next, wrap the black piece around the roll.  Allow the ends to over lap slightly, trim off excess, and stitch shut.

Trim off excess scrap pieces that might be sticking out.

Felt sushi! Now you just need to keep them away from the cats long enough for the kiddos to play with them. :-)

5 comments:

Sugar_Tart said...

These are great! I'll definitely have to whip some up for my daughter. Love the comment about the cats, I'm still trying to find the strawberries and mushrooms that I crocheted her for Christmas!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

That is too cute! I made some felt veggies for my niece recently, but think I might have to make some sushi for her now too!

Also, I have a great Dove chocolate giveaway going on right now and would love if stopped by and entered: http://eyespydiy.blogspot.com/2011/02/dove-chocolate-discoveries-giveaway.html

~Katie @ Eye Spy DIY

AllieMakes! said...

Those are cute! My little one can't have rice so she has never tried sushi! But this would be SO fun! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Randi said...

Visiting from Weekly Wrap Up- what a fun idea! Too cute:)

Amanda said...

These are so cute and fun! Are they washable? I would make em in a heartbeat for my preschool class if they were? I'm visiting over from weekly wrap up as well.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails