Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Apple Cupcakes

My mother-in-law sent me this great cupcake book for my birthday, and I have been dying to try out some of the designs!  It's called What's New Cupcake, by Karen Tack & Alan Richardson.  This was the first recipe I tried and I am SO happy with the results!


Supplies:
Cake mix or cake ingredients
A can of frosting or frosting ingredients
mini or medium sized doughnuts
red sugar
tootsie rolls
green soft candy, like tootsie rolls or airheads
red food coloring

First, make your cupcake batter and dye it reddish pink.  We used a recipe from the book, but you could use any recipe.


Wait patiently for them to bake (patience optional).


While you are waiting, roll out the green candy into a sheet.


Nice and flat:

Cut it into rectangles, and shape each piece into a leaf.


Cut the tootsie rolls in quarters lengthwise and shape into a stem (not pictured).

There they are, cooling nicely.


Sprite approves.


While they cool, whip up your frosting (or open your can), and add red food coloring.


Slice the top off the cupcakes to make them flat.  Cut the doughnuts in half, and bevel the edges if necessary so you get a nice curved apple shape.  Use frosting to glue the doughnut piece onto the top of the cupcake.  Then frosting the entire thing.


Gently roll the cupcakes in a bowl of red sugar to coat.  Add the leaf and stem.


Admire!  You have just made a fantastic cupcake!

There are a ton more ideas in the book and it's reasonably priced, so I recommend checking it out.  The designs are simple once you see how they are done!

Linked at:

9 comments:

Polly said...

These turned out great! I just checked that book out from the library and made the string and fuzzy monsters for my daughter's kindergarten class. They turned out well too.

Cheryl said...

What a cute idea - I've got to find that book & check it out.

Jessica said...

I got the same book and made the same cupcakes for a girl at work's birthday. Huge hit. Yours are super cute - I should have dyed the cake mix red, too!

Sarah beth said...

HI I am a first time reader! Those are really adorable...cant wait to try them out!

{Sarah beth}
http://hislovingpresence.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

Those are super cute! I'd love it if you'd link them up to my new Tuesday linky-Made From Scratch Tuesday!
http://messhalltobistro.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-tuesday-linky.html

Melissa @ Cajun Sugar Pie said...

Those are too cute! My daughter would love them!

Jen said...

Thanks for linking up to Made From Scratch Tuesday! Hope to see you next week! http://www.messhalltobistro.blogspot.com/search/label/Made From Scratch Tuesday

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

These are just too cute! I love them! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

Judy Bagwell said...

Super cute. These would be great for the first day of school or teacher appreciation day.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails