Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Apple Cider Doughnuts

I have been wanting to try homemade doughnuts for a long time now.  I found a delicious recipe for Apple Cider Doughnuts on a day when I had apple cider in the fridge and I had my sister-in-law here to help.  All the makings of a successful doughnut experiment.

I found the recipe at Amanda's Cookin', but she says the recipe is pretty popular and can be found in a handful of places.  You can visit her blog for the full recipe, but here's a few pics and tips of our 1st doughnut success!

We cut them out with a round cookie cutter and the top of a flower cookie cutter for the center.  The top was round, for whatever reason, so it worked perfectly. 


Into the oil.  We used vegetable oil because it's what I had.

Getting brown!

A potato masher proved to be a useful tool for doughnut lifting.

We set them on paper towels for a few to absorb some of the leftover oil.  Don't leave them for too long though, or the doughnuts will absorb the oil.

Looking beautiful, dipped in cinnamon and sugar or a glaze.

Sprite approves!

We used some of the doughnuts to make apple cupcakes today.  They are absolutely adorable and delicious, too!  Here are the instructions!

2 comments:

TracyKM said...

I just realized that the jug of cider in my fridge is now past the Best Before date and wondered if there were any recipes I could make with it! Thanks!!!!

Kelly said...

The only thing I know of is hard cider (which it's probably on its way to becoming already). You can just wait, or add a little beer yeast or wine yeast to speed things up. I'll have to do a cider-making and wine-mkain post in the future!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails