Monday, July 26, 2010

First Tomato Soup


Up here in the northern plains, we just got our first red tomato of the season.  It reminded me of a children's book the tot got from the library, about First Tomato Soup...and that soup sounded fantastic!  I couldn't remember the book so I had to do a little research, but I found it.

I hear my mother calling when the summer winds blow, "I've made you First Tomato soup because I love you so." - Rosemary Wells, from the book "First Tomato" of the Voyage to the Bunny Planet series

Well, I had to make it!  I made up my recipe as I went along, but it turned out great!  You can use any amount of fresh tomatoes, and use canned diced tomatoes or tomato sauce for the remainder.  It was just me and the tot for dinner, so the recipe serves two.

First Tomato Soup

1/4 c. chopped onion
1 tomato, chopped (skin on is ok)
2-4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 sprig of parsley, chopped
1/2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. chicken boullion
3 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 c. tomato sauce
1/2 c. whole milk

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.  Add the onion, tomato, basil, and parsley and cook for about 3 minutes or until onions begin to brown.


Add boullion, 3 Tbsp. water, and tomato sauce and cook for 3 minutes on medium.  Stir in whole milk and cook on low for 10 minutes.

In the meantime...how about some garlic bread?

Instant Garlic Bread

1 stick of butter
5 cloved of garlic, chopped
italian spices such as rosemary and oregano

Place butter in microwavable bowl and zap until melted. 

Stir in garlic and spices.  Place bowl in freezer for a few minutes so the butter thickens to a spreadable consistancy.

Stir butter, then spread on one side of bread.  Place bread on cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 375.  Broil for another 1-2 minutes under broiler.

Leftover butter can be stored in the fridge.  Just zap it a little when you're ready to use it, and give it a stir.

Yummy!



I hope you enjoy reading the book and eating my First Tomato Soup!  The little gal and I can't wait to have it again! (I guess that would be Second Tomato Soup...?)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails