Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sunchips and compost

We started composting last summer and are starting to get some nice soil for the garden, making both me and the little plants very happy.  We mostly use veggie scraps from cooking, banana peels, watermelon rinds, tea bags, and clippings from the garden, although we also throw in some grass clippings and dry leaves to get a nice mix.  Our compost seemed to weather the winter nicely, and I think it just needs more grass clippings as soon as we mow for the first time this spring and we should have some good stuff.

Composting is great for the environment, and is also a great way to make your own soil for potting and gardening.  Contrary to what you might expect, a compost pile or bin doesn't really smell.  Ours has a faint "vegetabley" smell to it, but certainly not a bad smell and not one you'd notice unless you stuck your head in the bin.

Sunchips just starting packaging their chips in compostable bags.  This is very exciting for me for several reasons: 1) I like anything that encourages a "greener" way of doing things, 2) I like experimenting, and 3) I like Sunchips!  I'm so excited, I scarfed down the bag so I could compost it right away.


I cut the bag into pieces so it would compost faster.  At least, that's how it works with veggie scraps, so I guess we'll find out if bags are the same.  Here's all the shiny pieces in the compost bin.



I stirred it up a little, and after tomorrow's addition of grass clippings, let the composting begin! 
Updates to come, of course.

1 comments:

Auntie Heather said...

that might be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails