Thursday, April 29, 2010

Single Fold Bias Tape tutorial

Don't be scared!  This is bias tape 101!

Single fold bias tape is commonly used on armhole and neckholes, or to make a casing for elastic.  In this case, I was using it to make a little pair of panties for the little gal to wear under her Easter dress.  It's used on the leg hole and creates a casing for the leg elastic to go in.

First, open one edge of the bias tape and pin it to the outside of the garment along the leg hole (or arm hole, etc.).
Here's a close up:
"Stitch in the ditch", as they say.  This means to sew along the fold line, right where my pin is on the previous pic.


Next, turn the garment inside out and fold the bias tape to what is now the outside of the garment.
In this pic you can see how it's folded.  The part by my fingers need to be folded in like the rest of it.

Sew along the left edge of the bias tape, making a casing.  Be sure to leave a small opening so you can get your elastic in there! (Sorry, no pic of this step).

Insert your elastic, sew the ends together, and close the small opening you left.


Repeat for the other leg, and then turn it right side out!


There! (yes, she is wearing them!)

See?  Bias tape isn't so bad after all, is it?  We'll do double fold another day.  It's even easier :-)

3 comments:

Len said...

Oh my goodness!!! I recently started using bias tape, I went and bought several different packets and when I got home I realized that some where double and some where single, the double was what I was needing, but now I have a use for the packets of single fold. THANK YOU so much!!!!!! I honestly had no idea what to do with it.

Kelly said...

Glad to help! I don't use it very often, so sometimes I even have to reference my own tutorial too :-)

SouthernBabies said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I have never made an elastic casing from bias tape until today and I love it. Although I used double fold, which was okay, was a bit bulky, but still served it's purpose. So just wanted to drop a quick note and thank you again for posting the photos and instructions. Hope you are having a wonderful day.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails