Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Baby Food Challenge Week #6: Snacks and meatballs!

Whoops! Sorry this one is late! Monday flew past me!  If you've just joined us, I am challenging myself to find 10 ways to use up the leftover baby food that the toddler refuses to eat.  4 weeks left!  This one was particularly challenging...

Zwieback toast:


At first I thought it would be easy, a little peanut butter, some raisins, and we have a yummy snack! 

The little gal disagreed:  "The toast is yucky, so I just ate the raisins and licked the peanut butter off".

Hmmm...let's try something different.  I'm thinking zwieback toast = breadcrumbs.  Let's try meatballs.  First, send your zwieback toast to the food processor:





If necessary, add regular breadcrumbs to your new zwieback toast crumbs to total 1 cup.

Meatballs

1 lb ground beef, turkey, or whatever (I used turkey, which is rare for me but it turned out fantastic!)
1 c. breadcrumbs
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. milk
Your favorite seasonings (I used salt, pepper, and about a Tbsp. of Italian seasoning.  I love Italian seasoning.)
1 c. BBQ sauce
hot dog buns

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Saute onions until they are shiny and soft.  Mix onions with bread crumbs, meat, milk, and seasonings in a bowl. 

Roll into small balls (1.5 in. diameter).  Place balls in a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and cover with BBQ sauce.  Bake 10 more minutes, turn meatballs, then bake for 10 more minutes.


Serve on hot dog buns for a kid-friendly meal!




Little gal says, "I was hesitant at first, but after I tried it, I liked it!" 

I'm still amazed that she even tried it while there were still tater tots on her plate!

2 comments:

Jess said...

I just came across your blog tonight and I think you're great! You're not afraid of store-bought baby/child food, BUT you re-purpose it so amazingly that you'd never know!! I'm all about easy, fast, but better yet, new and exciting! I will keep up with you and look forward to new and exciting blogs!

Kelly said...

Thanks Jess! I have been slacking on the baby food recipes lately, but I will make apple juice cookies one of these days!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails