Monday, April 12, 2010

Baby Food Challenge Week #5- Chicken nuggets

We're halfway on our journey to clear out our cupboards of baby food that the toddler won't eat!  Today we have chicken nuggets, because what kid doesn't like chicken nuggets?  With all the greasy, fatty versions out there, I'm going to do a healthier version made with real meat.

Chicken Nuggets

1 pack of 3-4 chicken breasts
1 jar of baby food (I used peas, but anything works)
1 c. of your choice of breadcrumbs
1/2 c. ground flax seed
1 egg, beaten
spices of your choice (I used paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and some italian seasoning)

Combine baby food and eggs on one bowl, and breadcrumbs, flax seed, and spices in another.  Cut the chicken into strips or nuggets.  Dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture followed by breadcrumb mixture.  Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, turning once.  Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the nuggets.  They can also be pan fried.

We served with a honey mustard sauce that was easy enough for the little gal to make.  Well, to stir at least.


Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

1/4 c. mayo
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. honey
1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Whisk to combine. Enjoy!

Little gal says: I ate it all!  I even dunked my potatoes and veggies in the honey mustard sauce too.

5 weeks to go!  Check back next Monday for another recipe to use up leftover baby food!

2 comments:

Auntie Heather said...

For when you run out of baby food - use mustard (no need for eggs), just brush or dip the chicken in mustard, then coat in bread crumbs and bake... yummy.

Crazy Old Clarice said...

Although I do not have baby food in my cupboard, I am loving this series!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails